Monday, May 30, 2016

Golden Light



Where to start. I guess I will just start with a story. I know you will like it dad. I thought of you as I experienced it. It’s about a member named "golden light" and his story starts in 1999 where in Darhan he was baptized a member of the church. He has been a faithful member ever since. And along the way he has learned English. This is where I come in. Here we are with no members we can take to a lesson. And a name Golden Light is at the top of our contact list. So I called and set up a place to meet. When we were walking to our destination, I could clearly pick him out. I have never before met this great man, but I could tell he was a member. He is a humble man and his countenance glowed and I knew why his parents named him Golden Light. Immediately he started speaking English to me and man it was great. He expressed his desire to go to America to see the temple. I showed him my photo of our family at the Salt Lake Temple and he held on to it, pondering over its beauty the whole walk. After that we asked him to come to a few more lessons with us and then we asked if we could visit his family.
We get to his house 30 min early and he wasn’t home from work yet so we stayed outside and played with his 10 year old kid. The boy is exactly like Miles. He has a lot of energy and likes to kick and punch and wrestle. But not biting!! hahah We played soccer for the whole 30 minutes. The highlight was looking through the house window and seeing his mom with the biggest smile on her face. She said that this is the happiest she has ever seen her son. And then Golden Light shows up and we go inside and they feed us and we talk. I learn that he is a carpenter, and that he built this home. I looked around in amazement. His house wasn’t huge or fancy of any type, but is was homely. A place where the spirit can dwell, a place to raise a family in the gospel. We shared a scripture and I felt impressed to share D and C 6:32-36.
 32 Verily, verily, I say unto you, as I said unto my disciples, where two or three are gathered together in my name, as touching one thing, behold, there will I be in the midst of them—even so am I in the midst of you.
 33 Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward.
 34 Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.
 35 Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you.
 36 Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.
As I shared this scripture, the son sprung up and said that verse 33 was his favorite verse. He went and got his personal set of scriptures and showed us his markings and a note from a teacher about verse 33. He then went and shared what he learned in his own scripture study. I saw his attitude change from loud and crazy to calm and reverent. He shared with us Alma 5:38.
38 Behold, I say unto you, that the good shepherd doth call you; yea, and in his own name he doth call you, which is the name of Christ; and if ye will not hearken unto the voice of the good shepherd, to the name by which ye are called, behold, ye are not the sheep of the good shepherd.
I didn’t understand what he said but I felt the spirit testify to me that he knew he was a child of God. Now I was wondering if Golden Light and his wife had adopted their son. They were in their early 50’s and I guess discerning my thoughts Golden Light said that they adopted him as a baby. He was raised with no siblings except for a neighbor that was his best friend.
 I thought of you dad being adopted by older parents but who very good parents. Parents that were strong in the gospel. You grew up to be a great dad and a great member of the church and I know that Tsagaadai will grow up to be a great member of his own. Thanks for all your hard work dad and I know that I was raised by goodly parents. You made me who I am today. You have taught me diligence in my work and sacrifice. Your hours of overtime was hard but it is paying off. I’m glad to see that you have found a home. I know that god has answered your prayers. I will continue to work hard here dad. Thanks for all your support!
 Love you mom and dad!
Elder Heacock

Ugly Sweater Day

No comments:

Post a Comment