May 3,
Another busy week come and gone! But another one awaits!
Sorry I didn’t email yesterday. We had a good P-day planned
but Brother Taylor called in the middle of the day and wanted Elder Lu to whip
out another English lesson. So for four hours he did that and in those 4 hours
I was with 4 different companions and we couldn’t do anything literally. It
sucked. I was with Elder Wilding for an hour and we did some language practice
but that’s it. Then I was with 3 other companions in a course of 30 minutes. It
was crazy. Elder Lu didn’t get done until 6:00pm and by that time we had to go
to our lesson out in the ger districts by 7. So we booked it back to Inktaven
and made the 30 minute hike up to his house and guess what? We knocked and
knocked and knocked. No answer. I called him and asked if he was home. He wasn’t.
I wanted to cry. He was a less active that I met the week before. I couldn’t
believe it, but I could because this happens to us about 10 times a week. But
it still burns the same. So we made the long walk down the mountain back home
to make dinner. It was hard to eat. Some days I feel like I accomplished
nothing. But there’s nothing I can do.
| Batbithig and her grandkids |
Anyways enough sad news!! I baptized my first person on Friday!!!!
It was packed. There were 3 other baptisms going on and President Benson was
there watching. I was so nervous and I had to go first. So I say the baptismal
prayer and gently lay Batbithig into the water her and I look up at the
witnesses and they nod so I’m pumped. Until I find out I didn’t bring extra
garments. I brought a towel, a new white shirt but no garments! I totally
goofed. Rookie mistake. I know you guys are all laughing hahahaha. I went home
soggy but with smile on my face. The greatest feeling was afterwards. Batbithig squeezed my hand and said thank you
and that she will never forget this moment. It was then when I truly felt like
a missionary. Like I had a purpose being here. I finally found it. I felt a
certain joy that I have never felt before. I will use this feeling as
motivation to be 110% obedient and diligent. What added more to my joy was when
I talked to her daughter who is a member in Utah. She called and wanted to talk
to me and Elder Lu and it was the coolest phone call ever. I almost cried. I
have never felt the spirit that strong during a phone call. She was just so
grateful for us teaching her mom. I found that I take this gospel for granted
sometimes. Eternal life hangs in the balance and sometimes I don’t take it seriously.
She holds to this gospel and treats it so preciously. She looks forward to go
through the temple with her in Utah. I can’t wait to meet her after my mission.
Batbithig has been watching the grand-kids here in Mongolia and in August the
kids are going back to Utah to live with their parents for 2 years, and then Batbithig
will join them later. When I get home I am definitely going over and visiting
them!!
| Sandig was baptized the same day |
This last Sunday we taught Batbithig the new member lessons
and at the end she asked us if we could help her understand the story of Nephi
building the boat. So we took some time to help her and it was amazing. She is
a true example of someone who really wants to learn and understand the
scriptures. Then at the end she asked us for homework!! I wish every
investigator was like her. She is like our grandma here. She asks us about our
families and if we need anything. She is so sweet. I have learned a lot from
here about diligence and sacrifice.
Another big thing that happened this week was we had English
conference. All the American missionaries gathered at the mission home and it
was cool seeing everyone. Brother Taylor had the elders that were working on
the new programs present their progress and they each presented a different
program that we as teachers could use and it was cool that not all that time
was wasted!!! But the big highlight was President Benson speaking. He talked on
the importance of the English program and I am just going to be honest. Teaching
English hasn’t been on my mind a lot here. I have had thoughts like why should I
pay attention to this. I didn’t work super hard and sacrifice a lot to just get
treated like dirt from my students 12 hours a week. So no I haven’t given English
any thought. I signed up to do missionary work. I want to teach lessons, not to
kids who don’t want to learn. So while President Benson spoke I just looked
down. I couldn’t look at him. I felt like I let him down but he said something
that really caught my attention and I have been pondering it a lot lately. He
compared this mission to a garden. Each mission is a different garden. Some
gardens grow different assortments of fruits and vegetables. Our garden grows
potatoes, carrots and onions. And that’s okay. Our main focus here is teaching English.
We are blessed for the opportunity to teach the gospel but our calling is to
teach English. This is our garden, the English program. And we need to pay
attention to it, we need to love it care for it and nurture it. As we magnify
our calling, at the end of the day God will grow the seed. We don’t grow the
seed, God does. Our job is to magnify our calling. And God will put forth his
power. Like with missionary work, we need a big plan for English. We have to
know what we are teaching and how we can improve. I learned a lot from that
conference that I can implement into my teaching. The sooner I plant it in my
mind that I’m here to teach English, the better mission I will have and the
more success I will receive. It’s hard, it really is but the benefits of
teaching will bless me 100 fold during my mission and afterwards. I can’t wait
to start teaching this week and get that good fresh start!!!!
| I am getting good at making enchiladas! |
Love you guys!!!
Elder Heacock
No comments:
Post a Comment