Monday, July 11, 2016

6 Month Mark!



YES! I don’t know if you guys noticed cause of all the packing but I’VE BEEN OUT FOR 6 MONTHS!!  This has cause for some reflection. It’s been a good 6 months. But you know me I’m never satisfied. These last few weeks while I’ve been in Unur have been hard to meet with people. We are working hard but people just don’t want to meet or they are working or in the countryside. Elder Khasbaatar and I are working our butts off but all we have is 14 investigators who don’t want to meet. We have an investigator, she’s a little older about 60, and she had her baptismal interview about 4 weeks ago. She didn’t pass. She didn’t have a good knowledge of who Joseph Smith was. What we had to do was watch the restoration video with her and talk a little about it and she can have her second interview and be baptized. Well she has burned us every day since. EVERYDAY! It’s heartbreaking.

We are struggling to have even 10 lessons a week. And it’s going to be close to impossible to meet with anyone this week because of Nadaam, the national holiday here in Mongolia. We told our district and ward missionaries that we were shooting for 15 lessons this week and they laughed at us. Yeah everything is closed and Nadaam lasts basically all week. Our new goal is 8 lessons. It’s sad. I feel like I’m not fulfilling my purpose. I feel like I could be doing so much more. I was super mad at everything last week. Being out 6 months and I feel like I haven’t gone anywhere. This was my mood all last week. Depressed. Until Saturday when God showed me a tender mercy.

Saturday was a big storm. It was dumping hard and there was a big thunderstorm. I told my companion we were still meeting with our investigators. We had planned to meet 4 people that day (which is a lot in one day by the way) and to get to all of their houses we had to walk. No bus went to their house. So we went outside and everyone was wearing jackets and had umbrellas except me. I had a white shirt, tie and a huge smile on my face. Everyone thought I was crazy. But the rain felt great. It wiped away the sadness and disappointment. It reminded me of home and it comforted me. It was nice. And I didn’t get sick too!

I couldn’t write yesterday because yesterday was Nadaam!!!!! We spent the whole day there. It was sick. It was a lot like the state fair back home. We got to see archery and big fat guys wrestle each other. It was awesome! And the games were cool! There are a lot of dart balloon games. The Mongolian missionaries love this game because you actually get money if you win. You pay 2000 tughriks to play and you get 3 or 4 tries depending on the guy running it, to pop six balloons in a row. If you do, you get 10,000. It’s really easy to. You can stand close and there are a lot of balloons so they were racking up money. I could have probably done it but I was afraid if I won and got money I would get addicted so I didn’t do it. The ZL’s told me that you can go everyday if you want which makes sense cause we aren’t going to be able to meet with anyone but we probably are not going to go back. We are going to try to meet with people. 

Saturday night the bishop called me to give a talk on Sunday on the restoration. So I wrote it up quick that night and Sunday morning memorized it and then gave it in church. And guess how many members showed up? Well Sunday it was again a huge rainstorm so I already didn’t expect much but there was a whopping 15 people there. But the bishop was really impressed that I memorized my talk and looked up the whole time. It was cool. Unur needs many members. We have do something about that. Peace

Elder Heacock


No comments:

Post a Comment