Feb 9
This last week has been full of ups and downs. I appreciate
all the emails/letters and the packages from all you guys it really means a
lot. This last Saturday we decided as elders in our district to do a language fast.
It’s where we don’t speak English for an entire day, we only communicate in
Mongolian. Even if random people talked to us we had to speak Mongolian. I got
a lot of weird looks!!! But it was amazing. It really opened my eyes to see how
far we have come in the language. We carried around our pocket dictionaries and
we looked up words we didn’t know. I thought I would go a whole day without
talking. I didn't know I knew that much conversation phrases in Mongolian. I
mean I can teach a super awesome lesson in Mongolian right off the bat, but
just conversation phrases I don’t know much of. But I learned a lot and we had
a lot of fun. We are going to do it twice a week and the rest of the days we
are going to SYL as hard as we can. I know that if we keep doing this we will
be a little more prepared out in the field. We won’t be total scrubs.
Just last night we had another lesson with билгүүн (Bithgoon)
and every time we meet with him his body language tells me that something is
bugging him. He has a problem and as a companionship we just can’t figure it
out. We want to help him so much but we just don’t know what to do. And when I’m
in a lesson with him, I don’t know what it is but I just feel so unprepared. I
work hard to prepare for the lesson but it’s just with билгүүн where I just
blank. Last night I was studying my scriptures and I came across a scripture in
D&C 127 verse 4. It’s the last half of the verse that stuck out to
me.
"....and let your diligence, and your perseverance, and
patience, and your works be redoubled. And you shall in nowise lose your
reward."
Pondering on this scripture I came to realize that earlier
that morning during personal study, I fell asleep. When I do that I become
drowsy and not focused in companion study. I came to see personal study as
seminary. When I’m focused and willing to learn during personal study my day
goes a lot better. I told myself that I will work hard to not sleep during
personal study and that I will spend every minute I can during the day to get
more familiar with the language. That means in lines waiting for food, when I’m
done eating and waiting for my companions, when I’m walking to and from class. I
can always improve in the language. I’m really focusing on my testimony in Mongolian.
Because I know if I blank again, I can share my testimony with power. I have
come to know my testimony in English and as I’m translating it in Mongolian I
come to know it even more.
Бурхан бидний баруун талдь бас бидний Зүүн талд сахиусан
тэнгээр ихээр амлалсан бидний дээшээ оргох бас бурхан түүний сахисан амлалт
дандаа гэдгээг би мэднэ
This is just a part of my testimony that I’ve been working
on translating. This is from memory so hopefully I didn’t spell any words wrong
or miss any words even though I probably did. Anyway life is good here. The
teachers are awesome, food still stinks but I can’t complain. Boyd Ax, one of
our teachers showed us some traditional Mongolian food and after that I was
humbled. They have this mystery meat jello thing and it looks disgusting. But i
have 5 more weeks until I have to worry about that. Hopefully all of u guys are
well peace!
Elder Heacock
No comments:
Post a Comment