What is up family!!!
What a week it has been!! Last
Wednesday we had a guy come in and talk to us about the teaching English as a
Second Language stuff. He said that based on our resumes we sent in, would
decide which sponsor would choose us. So I'm hoping I get an FBI agency or an
elementary school. I also learned we will be teaching by ourselves, with no
companions. So that was a shock and kind of scary. I would rather teach little
kids than grown-ups by myself. hahah. The guy is coming sometime this week to
tell us who our sponsors are so I'm excited for that.
I forgot to tell you something from
last week and this will make you laugh. Every Thursday morning we have service
and guess what we do? We go to the back of the cafeteria and receive shipments
of food trucks, and with a pallet jack, put it all the food away where it
goes. hahah I don't know if Jeff contacted them but it's pretty awesome. The
guy in charge was like "who knows how to receive?" I'm like "I do".
Then he's like "who knows how to work a pallet jack?" "Uhhh I do".
hahah Its pretty fun though and definitely the easiest one. I would rather do
this than to clean toilets all day!
On Friday, the new zone leaders
approached me and was like would you like to give the lesson in priesthood this
Sunday? I said sure we can do that. But he's like, no it's just you, not your companionship.
Prepare a 40 minute lesson on the atonement. I'm like noooo!! But I accepted it.
On Sunday we have Sacrament Meeting at 11:30 so I have 4 hours to prepare. So I
prayed really hard and came up with a lesson with a lot of discussion points because
that's how it's going to last 40 min is have the people talking and reading. So
after sacrament, I went into my classroom where I'm giving the lesson and the
branch presidency is there and 15 people, about half the zone.
So in the beginning I have them read 2 Nephi
9:6-16 and each person reads one verse and at the end I ask from these verses
why do we need the atonement. Lots of people raised their hands and gave their
answer. Then I said I like what is says in verse 7 where it says it has to be
an infinite atonement. I asked what do you think it means by infinite atonement.
And again many people talked and voiced their answers. It was great and I felt
the spirit and I was really comfortable and I was learning from them. After
they shared their thoughts, I said something like none of us are perfect. We
all need the atonement and repentance. Repentance is a lot like prayer. When
you pray, you pray with real intent and desire. When you pray you need to
repent with real intent and have a desire to change. A desire to have a change
of heart. One prophet in the Book of Mormon who really had a change of heart is
Alma the younger. Then I had them turn to Mosiah 27 and had them read verses 8
through 10. Then after they read those I said, up to this point Alma (Alma the
Youngers father) has taken years to build up the church and here is his son
just tearing it down, on purpose even. I asked them how would you feel if you
took years of hard work building up a business and then have someone you love
go out of their way and destroy it. They had some good responses. I agreed with
them and said, yeah I would be ticked and really angry. But what does Alma do?
I had them turn to the verse I think its 14 where Alma prays for his son. I
said Alma maybe felt sad and disappointed but he wasn't angry. He prayed for
him. And then I had some people add some comments. I related it to Heavenly Father
may get disappointed and sad when we sin but never angry. He's always praying
for us. Then I had them read the rest of the Alma the Younger story up to verse
19. I said we are not going to go through the same experience Alma went through
when we sin. What repentance process do we go through what are the steps? The
class got really into that question so I had to cut out some stuff I was
planning on doing like showing a video.
The class participated so much it
was awesome. The branch president said to me after that this was the best lesson
he heard. He said he never saw any class participate so much. He said that was
because I was asking inspiring questions. He said he never saw a lesson on the
atonement that was taken so serious and reverently. He said he learned a lot
and felt the spirit and looks forward to the time when I give another lesson. That
was really awesome to hear!!
We got another investigator named
ганбаатар pronounced gonewater. He's the best investigator ever. I can't even
describe the awesome lessons we have been having. We've had 2 with him so far. He
has a drinking problem and his family is falling apart. So we started with teaching
him how to pray and about the word of wisdom. We taught him that he can pray to
God for strength and that He will help him and that we were here to help. After
that first lesson, our confidence just went up.
Last night we had a great lesson
with him. I was taking the lead with lesson because Lesson 9 had a lot I wanted
to share. As an intro, we asked how his family was doing and how his drinking
is doing. He said that he threw all his beer away but still smoked and drank a little
coffee. We just testified right there that if you keep working hard the Lord
will bless you. We said an opening prayer and I asked if he prayed since we
last met and he said yes. I asked him how he felt and he said he felt good. I
then asked if I could share a scripture and he said yes. I shared D&C 19
38-39. He really liked this scripture and I promised him that as he keeps
praying he will be blessed. We then went on to teach about how the gospel
blesses families and he had a lot of questions and surprisingly we had
answers!! Toward the end I asked if I could share an experience, but first I
want to show you my family. So I showed him just our family photo and
introduced them to him. He was pretty excited. I felt like we were connecting
with him on a personal level more and more. After I showed him our family, I told
him that when pray together and read the Book of Mormon together we become more
unified. Then I shared a scripture in 3rd Nephi 18, I'm not sure but it says
that if you pray with your family you will be blessed. I then invited him to
pray with his family and he accepted. We also left him with the commitment to
read the first chapter of Nephi. He said yes to that. He even said the closing
prayer. It was so awesome. I'm starting to love giving lessons.
Its great hearing from you guys. I
love u guys so much!!!
Elder Heacock
No comments:
Post a Comment